The Universal Peace Federation UK convenes its annual commemoration of “United Nations International Day of Elimination of Violence Against Women and Girls” -(#EVAWG) under the 2020 global theme: "Orange the World: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect!" The UN System’s 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence activities occur from 25 November to 10 December. Video Link
Chaired by Margaret Keverian Ali – Director, UK UPF
- Opening remarks given by:
- Carole Stone CBE: UPF Patron
- Panel of speakers:
- Baroness Sandip Verma: Former Equalities Spokesperson & Chair of UN Women UK.
- Shaun Bailey MP: Conservative MP for West Bromwich West.
- Marie Hanson MBE: Founder & President of Domestic Violence Charity, STORM.
- Pamela Zaballa: Global Executive Director of NO MORE.
- Chris Green OBE: Founder, White Ribbon Organisation, previously member of task force in EU Council for ending EVAW.
- Madi Sharma: Survivor! Successful Entrepreneur and Founder Madi Group.
- Closing remarks given by Robin Marsh - Secretary General of UPF - UK
This conference As the world retreats inside houses due to the lockdown measures introduced to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, reports from around the world showed an alarming increase in the already existing pandemic of violence against women. “Accompanying the crisis has been a spike in domestic violence reporting, at exactly the time that services, including rule of law, health and shelters, are being diverted to address the pandemic,” said the UN Secretary-General's report “Shared Responsibility, Global Solidarity: Responding to the socio-economic impacts of COVID-19". Globally, statistics show that 1 in 3 women experienced physical or sexual violence prior to the pandemic and now it is estimated cases have increased by more than 20% during the first lockdown.